Saturday, November 5, 2011

BioWriMo Year Five: Therapy

I turned four in 1994. At this age, I finally slept through the night! But not yet. We’ll get to that.

By now my parents realized that I had some problems with regular activities. Sleeping was obvious but there were also weird things with my speech patterns and interactions with people. I was very sensitive, crying at the drop of a hat and generally acting unlike someone my age. In some ways I was very mature, now able to read independently, but I was incredibly bad socially and sensitively.

So I started therapy. I don’t remember how long I was there or what exactly I did or the name of the therapist. I didn’t even know why I was there and I didn’t find out for years, so I’ll keep it thematic and not tell you people yet. All I know is that there were a lot of really cool toys and it was fun.

Anyway, I learned to block things out, so I got a lot less sensitive to things, if only selectively. I started sleeping through the night, even if I kept odd patterns like going to bed and waking up extremely early for no real reason.

I remember competing with my brother a lot around this age even though I couldn’t compare to a six-year-old. We’re both quite artistic and by this time we both drew and doodled a lot. I’m sure I’ll get into that more once I’m actually at schooling age.

Anyway, therapy was basically the highlight of my fifth year on the planet and I barely remember it, so I guess that’s all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment